Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Burn, Baby, Burn


On Monday we had a burn at our property (the 10.5 acres we bought last July) of the trees that Ray has been cleaning the last few months. It was a fun family event! Ray went early in the morning and the kids and I joined him around 9:30.

We set up a picnic area with muffins, bagels, and coffee. (We had a smaller burn pile going on in the background)


Ray's dad lives a mile away and joined us for most of the day and also loaned us his tractor.



The start of the big burn.



We had to get a burn permit and meet certain parameters in order to be allowed to have the burn. I got pretty paranoid in the beginning and kept spraying the grass around the fire for fear of it spreading (I didn't need to worry).




As I was walking around with the hose I met a tree and lost. It hurt a lot worse than it looks.


The burn continued all day & we kept pushing the logs closer together and they'd burn some more. Ray's mom and step-dad came and they said the could see the smoke all the way from the interstate.


Addison spent a lot of time with our neighbors horses.


I decided to walk the perimeter of the property. I had my coffee, beautiful weather in the 50's and beautiful views. This is looking off the front of our property. I mapped the walk and it showed it was over .6 miles with a 50 ft. elevation increase.


I utiled our smaller fire to cook hotdogs for lunch.



The kids rode bikes, found a hideout, picked oranges, relaxed, and Addison worked on a paper.



Later in the day we made very messy smores.


Ray hosed the fire for two hours before getting home around 9:30! A neighbor sent us a photo of the remains the following day - still smoking!



No comments :

Post a Comment