What a week.
This mothers day has afforded me a lot of time alone with the kids as Ray has been at his grandma's bedside.
After church this morning I took them for the best ever Italian ice from Jeremiah's. I grew up going to the original location by my house & I'm really excited they've opened them here!
Ray came home for a few hours this evening before leaving again. His grandma was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday; typically they would treat her breathing issues and she'd be released back home.
This time the treatments weren't working & they had to cease to assist helping her breathe on Friday night. We were told to expect her to pass within 24-48 hours.
The kids & I were able to visit her Friday night & she was admitted to hospice last night.
Thankfully, she's local so Ray has spent most of his time at the hospital/hospice since Wednesday. One night he arrived back home at 3 in the morning only to go back a few hours later. Now, he's spending the night there.
The kids & I have kept with our regular appointments - doctors, pool dates, baseball, etc. but we've been able to spend most of the weekend at home. I've let them play games on the wii & watch movies while I've cleaned & worked on projects.
After visiting Grandma Jeanie on Friday night Kate was heartbroken & was hysterically crying for awhile. Saturday she colored this picture for Jeanie.
I'm heartbroken for Ray and incredibly grateful he's been able to spend this time with his grandma and family. I know I would've liked to have that opportunity when my grandmother passed a few years ago but I know spending those days on end waiting together makes the emotions much more raw.
I'm tired & definitely a bit...annoyed? from the constantness of being "on" right now. Single parenting like this is much different than the steadiness of single parenting when he's away for a set amount of time and we have a normalcy & expectations to our days. I think part of it is that everything is topsy turvy with Ray coming & going - the kids went a couple days without seeing him even though he was close by, they're losing their great-grandma, we're sad & emotional & not sleeping well/much.
I'm not sure how this week will play out - we have more doctor appointments and I have my first 3-day conference of the summer that I oversee we it Classical Conversations.
No comments :
Post a Comment