Does it ever feel like everyone else's life is more interesting than yours? I guess it has to do with that whole "the grass is always greener" thing doesn't it?
Last week I taught youth group (yes me, can you believe it?) and I talked to the kids about not wishing your time away. Ray & I had them listen to a story about a kid who is able to pass through times in life he doesn't enjoy just by turning a knob on his watch - you may heard a variation on this before. Anyway, before he knows it years have gone by when to him it only feels like a day.
We used this to explain to the kids that there's nothing wrong with having dreams, but if you spend all of your time just waiting for a certain event to take place you'll lose all of the time you do have. I think the first question I asked them was how many couldn't wait to get their drivers license (even the 7 year olds raised their hands), how many couldn't wait to graduate, move out of the house, etc. So I explained to them that I used to always think about getting married. I just couldn't wait to get married. Now I'm married and I think about having kids and graduating college.
While I want these things I'll lose valuable time now if all I do is focus on the future. Our focus in life should be to serve God, not wish for the time to pass by more quickly. And if we're always wishing for something else we can't effectively serve God now.
So that was the gist of it. I hope I explained it to the kids better than I just wrote it out. :)
No comments :
Post a Comment